Thursday 30 April 2015

My Wing Mechanism Attempt

After I had looked at mechanisms and the anatomy of how bird wings work i then decided to do some quick moquettes to try out the research that i had done to see if i could make a moving wing based on it. I began by trying to use wire as it would be strong but still quick and easy to work with, but I quickly found out that it was difficult to attach the wire together so i decided to move on and try using art straws. Again using the art straws i found it difficult to attach them together and to figure out in my head how the wing would work, so i began by making one that didn't move by gluing the straws together.


Doing this was really useful as i then could see a physical version of what i was trying to make but one that didn't move so i just had to figure out how to make it move. I did this by using a pin to make a hole through the straw and then using a small piece of wire to attach the two straws.


I used the straws to make a this (above) simple design which can move in and out by holding one of the end straws and pushing and pulling on the other. This design is quite effective as it moves with little effort but still doesn't move quite as well as i wanted it to as the way i have attached them stops it from moving all the way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment